Thursday, October 16, 2008

Music As A Career

A few months ago I would've been against it, but now I see that a career in music might be right for me. I've been finding, ever since getting a job, that I don't want to do the job because of the amount of money I make, instead to do it because I enjoy it. Some music careers I was considering were a high school music teacher or a sound engineer of some sort. I think if I were to have a career to do with music, I would always enjoy it, because music is one of my favorite things. I'm not sure which path to take, because the one involves playing music, where you have to know a lot of theory and be fairly proficient at your instrument(s), while the other involves refining already created music, and it is technology oriented, which interests me further. If I was to teach music I would enjoy helping people to learn to read and make music, but I'm not so sure if I would do well speaking in front of large groups. If I were to be a sound engineer I would like working with all the technology and striving for the right sound. A career in music or not, it will definitely be a hobby for me in the future. I will continue to play my saxophone and keep learning guitar and playing it, hopefully in a band. Music will play a big part in my adult life, whether it be as a career or as just a hobby.

1 comment:

Kevin D A Jones said...

Music teacher, eh? I'll tell you this, I couldn't see myself doing anything else. There was a time where I was petrified to speak in front of large groups - slowly over time you realize that 99% of people don't care much about whether or not you make any sort of mistakes.

As far as the technical knowledge goes - you learn it all in university. Nobody leaves high school knowing a great deal of theory and how to play all the concert band instruments, and even fewer leave with much in the way of teaching experience.

Music technology is an exciting career as well, especially considering the kinds of technologies being used to make music these days. 20 years ago, the process was almost entirely analog - now, with the digital process, individual notes are corrects, and tracks are mastered in a completely different manner.

Good blogging.
9/10