Monday, November 24, 2008

How I Use Music and How Music Uses Me

There are many ways that I use music, but not as many ways that music uses me. I use music to do just about anything, I use it to lift my mood when I'm feeling down or something, I'll listen to something like... well I can't think of any specifics, but just about any music I like will make me feel happier. If I want to get excited for something I'll listen to songs that are loud and fast, something like Hail Destroyer. If I'm relaxing or just trying to chill and do homework I'll try listening to The Used because their stuff is a lot slower and it helps me concentrate. I try not to listen to anything too technical when I do homework because then I get distracted from my work. But the opposite is also true because if I don't listen to music, I'll focus on the ambient sounds around me, which can be even worse. I sometimes use music when I'm running to keep me going, too.

I think music uses me in a way that if I hear a song in a store or something that I like, I might be more inclined to buy something from that store for some weird reason. I use music to also boost my confidence I think, because I feel more normal when I'm listening to a song that I've heard before and that I like. Music also uses me to keep me focused on something, like when I'm watching a movie or something and it's a really tense part - they've just found a body outside and the violins cut in and they start going higher and higher, building to the climax of the scene. It really makes you feel how the writers wanted you to feel at that part of the movie. Music is strange, it can make you feel different ways just listening to it. It's hard to believe something that doesn't physically exist has such a drastic effect on you.

No comments: