Thursday, September 18, 2008

My Favorite Things

Metal. That would have to be my favorite genre of music, as well as all sub genres of metal. I think the best kind of metal would have to be metalcore, because you have the sweet riffs, without the meaningless lyrics. Lyrics are very important to me in a song, it gives meaning to the music. The reason I like metal so much is probably because of the guitar parts, I love listening to a distorted guitar, the sounds they can make with it are so unique. Some of my favorite metal bands are Killswitch Engage, Atreyu, and All That Remains. I like Killswitch because all their songs are so put together and the singer is great at screaming and clean vocals. Also because they did a cover of Holy Diver. Nice. I respect Atreyu for a couple of reasons; they have a really unique vocalist who does screaming that's different from most you hear, the guitar riffs are melodic as well as grinding, and their drummer does the vocals during the chorus, which I believe is just phenomenal. Unfourtunately, they've sort of gone backwards in my opinion with their latest album, it has less screaming, and a more hardcore feel instead of metal. It's not bad stuff, just not exactly my kind of Atreyu. All That Remains is probably my favorite metal band. Its fast and heavy stuff, for the most part, many songs have a guitar solo, which I enjoy. The drummer plays an extremely fast double bass pedal, it`s hard to believe it`s real. Also, the bassist is a girl which is pretty sweet. Most songs are screamed during the verses, but the chorus is usually clean vocals. Its hard for me to listen to a song that is entirely screamed, I need to have some clean vocals to balance it out. It`s hard to pick a favorite song for these bands, but if I had to I'd pick We Stand Up by Atreyu, Two Weeks by ATR and Arms of Sorrow by KSE. Of course, my all time favorite band would have to be Protest The Hero. It's like nothing I've ever heard before. To define it in a genre I would have to say Thrash, Metal, and Hardcore. All three combined. To start, the singer has a very unique voice, he screams, low and high, as well as sings low and very high. There are two guitarists, who play very fast tapping lines. It has a really flowing feel. The bassist is also insane, he taps with two hands on his bass and also writes all the lyrics and parts for everyone in the band. The drummer, is well, just the drummer, but he is very talented too. I can't pick a favorite song for this band, all their stuff is just that good, but some of the best ones are Bloodmeat, Sequoia Throne and Limb from Limb.

1 comment:

Kevin D A Jones said...

Good stuff here Logan. I really like your specificity with regards to why you like what you like, right down to subcategorizing what many would simply label "makes my ears bleed", "hardcore" or "metal".

The vocalist on KSE has to be my favorite thing in that band, such power as a screamer and as a singer is a rare find.

Good blogging.

10/10